Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chicken & Dumplings

Brr! Cold winter evenings call for nice, hot comfort foods. This one is pretty easy with my lazy short cuts.

Chicken & Dumplings

4 cups water
4 bouillon cubes or 4 tsp. instant bouillon
1 bay leaf
4 pieces of chicken
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small bag of frozen mixed peas and carrots
2 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cups milk

Boil chicken in water with bouillon and bay leaf for 10 minutes. When chicken is cooked through, remove chicken and shred or chop. Discard bay leaf. In a separate bowl, stir 2 cans of water into the condensed soup. Add to the remaining broth and bring to a boil again. In another bowl, stir together the Bisquick and milk. Drop by small teaspoons into the boiling soup, stirring occasionally. When all the dumplings are boiling, return the shredded chicken and add the frozen vegetables. Let everything simmer for 5 minutes or until everything is heated through.

Unfortunately, we ate all the soup before I could find my camera. No picture this week, sorry!

Recipe caveat: I only loosely measure things, so you may need to adjust seasonings or add water for your tastes.

2 comments:

Holly K said...

Oh. This is why you were asking. Yeah, I've never made it with condensed soup- I just make broth and then add random veggies and the dumplings. I also never use Bisquick because I'm too cheap, but I can understand the convince factor.

Queen Shannon said...

I got the soup and Bisquick cheap, so they make nice shortcuts.